There are now two full days remaining before I set off for this long awaited trip. I have now spent the past month reading all the books I can, reading all the blogs I can and looking for advice from any source possible. In the past few days I have accumulated a couple very simple pieces of advice that I will carry with me on my travels. Both came from people I work with at the Loring Pasta Bar.
Late at night, after finishing up a shift working a party for a publishing company I was walking by the Varsity and noticed that there were still people working away trying to hustle the last few drunks out of the place while desperately trying to clean up. Walking in, I see a long time associate, let’s call him the professor. I interrupted the professor’s work and starting discussing my trip. I mention that I intend to keep a blog of my experiences. Upon asking him whether he would read my blog or not, he says, “ only if it is from the heart.” That is exactly what I set out to do, use my heart.
I spent most of today enjoying food, drink and conversation with people somehow related to the Loring Pasta Bar. While discussing life over a Green Papaya Salad and a Thai stir fry at True Thai I found one very short simple statement to shine through. If you don’t act, nothing will happen. It’s that simple. Ultimately, we do have a choice in deciding our fate or at least we have the power to act and hopefully coerce our life to take one direction or another.
Yes, it is true that in not acting, something will happen and that something may still be agreeable. But why just sit around and wait for life to pass you by? For the next 100 days and beyond I will plan on living with my heart as well as acting not just reacting.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i agree...nothing exciting can happens in ones life if there is no change, no mistakes, no learning, no love, no...exploration, be it self-exploration or traveling exploration. i am excited for you!! and i agree, if you live by the heart and write by the heart, your life [and your blog] will be wise and great. love you lots good friend :)
ReplyDeleteWooohooo! You've got me all fired up. You should be a motivational speaker. I had an interview today, so I feel like I'm with you on the taking-action-to-make-things-better-train...just in a little more mundane fashion than you.
ReplyDeleteAll of us at the office today were thinking of you & so excited for your adventure tomorrow. I'm glad to hear you you are headed into it with the right frame of mind & an open heart.
Besos Johnny!