Friday, April 17, 2009

Day Eighty to Eighty Five: Hampi and the Hippies

Day Eighty to Eighty Five April 13th to 17, 2009
Hampi, India

I had decided to travel to Hampi on a whim. I had enough of the drug heads, hippies and scam artists of Goa and hoped that traveling inland would offer a different way of life. As is expected of an overnight bus, the ride was terrible. These buses make stops every hour but in between that is just a series of very tight corners and the bright lights from the oncoming traffic. Each time that I took an overnight bus on this trip I would say that it were my last, but again I found myself here on a sleepless journey.

Hapmi is a magical land located in the south, central part of the sub-continent. It is a unique mixture of green fields, palms and hundreds of piles of large boulders. These imense piles of boulders appear as if the gods had collected them and placed them in these very piles.


At the top of one pile there is a temple dedicated to the monkey god, Hanuman. The climb up the two or three hundred stairs to the temple will leave you breathless as will the view once you reach the top. A sizable group of monkies will greet you as you climb to the top.P.s. sorry for the horrendous spelling above.

No comments:

Post a Comment