Saturday, April 4, 2009

Day Seventy Two: James Bond Island

Day Seventy Two April 4th, 2009
Ao Phang Nga Bay and Phuket

Today I decided to take one more tour of the area, this time to a highly acclaimed bay with "stunning" karst cliff and a famous rock formation dubbed "James Bond Island" for obvious reasons. The tour was booked through a small shop on the main road of Khao Lak, there are millions of them in all the most touristy places of Thailand and this one was no different. They always offer grimy photo albums with picture promises of what your day with hold. The walls are no different, they remind me of a six grade history project with photos and text pasted haphazardly in odd formations. When booking a trip through these offices you really never do know what to expect since the people offering you the trip have no idea either. Part of the joy of booking these trips is the brief encounters you are able to make with fellow travelers, usually European, very few Americans.

Exceeding my expectations (for the worse) the trip was extremely touristy, but hey, maybe I should accept the fact that I am a tourist. I met a few interesting people including a lovely women from Denmark in her 60's. Besides being very friendly, her most prominent features were a voice scarred from years of smoking and a bikini that she should not have even been wearing twenty years ago.

Floating village with floating mosque. This has got to be the best meal that I had on my trip so far. It was soo good that I had it two nights in a row. It such a basic dish but the simplicity is part of its charm. It consists of the most tender and flavorful roast pork ever, served over rice with half a hard boiled egg, stir-fried greens and pickled radish. Grand total for a beer and this delicious dish, $1.50.

At night I headed for the largest island in Thailand, Phuket. I stayed in Phuket Town which has great Chinese and Portuguese influences evident in the architecture of the old town area.

No comments:

Post a Comment