Luang Prabang
This city was supposed to be the highlight of Laos. I have spoken with many people that are in love with city. Me, I'm not impressed. The city is a well recognized spot on the S.E. Asia tourist trail. Temples and monks dot the city. It is quite a beautiful sight to see the monks in their bright orange robes walking the streets. I must admit that with all the religious institutions that I have seen over this trip (Wats, Gurdwarsas, Temples, Churches, Mosques.....) I am just done with religious fervor. We all have strong convictions about one thing or another. I am very happy that the Hindus find the cow sacred and that the Muslims must pray five times a day but I am relieved say that I was raised a protestant (Catholic Light to some.)

For me, the highlight of the city was a cooking class that was taken with a small restaurant named Tamarind. It is the kind of restaurant with small little packets of dried herbs and ribbons for decoration. I am sure that the owner would be the Lao version of Martha Stewart. I can now add squirrel to the list of foods that I have eaten.



That was your first time eating squirrel?! I thought everyone from the midwest had eaten squirrel & rabbit at least once - maybe that was just my family.
ReplyDeleteWhat are the fruits/vegetables in the middle of the bottom photo?