Halong Bay
Oh what a joy it is to arrive at the train station at five in the morning after a night of rocking and rolling in a tiny bunk. Half rested, we now take a three hour bus ride east to Halong Bay. Halong Bay has been described as a mystical collection of karst islands amid the sparkling blue waters of bay. Although I would like to romanticize the bay, I am a bit more cynical in thinking that it is the Vietnamese version of a honeymoon hell. The weather had failed to cooperate and the day was shrouded in a thick fog and a slight drizzle. The English I was traveling with said that they felt right at home, unfortunately. Lunch was served aboard a ship while cruising the bay which was quite amazing. Various plates of seafood were presented until we could not find anymore room. Looking out across the bay I could make out perhaps a hundred (maybe thousands) of other boats ferrying around tourists that were most likely just as disappointed as we were.

The city that sits of the bay was just as much a disappointment as the foggy bay. With no character and much to do we all retired early and prepared for the next days journey to Hanoi.
No comments:
Post a Comment