Thursday, March 5, 2009

Day Forty: The Fresh Scent of Motorbike in the City

Day Forty March 5th, 2009

Hanoi
All the travelers that I have run into going in the opposite direction told me that they disliked Hanoi describing it as "noisy and dirty." I could not believe that that would be the case after seeing Saigon and being surprised by its modernity, industriousness and fun character. However, with a dreary and foggy day, Hanoi lived up to its reviews and presented itself as "noisy and dirty" city. In Hanoi's defense I do enjoy a city that has a take no prisoners mentality. We first set off to see the city's most famous landmark, the tomb of Ho Chi Minh. The area surrounding the tomb has the feel of it being the capital building area with well tended lawns and gardens. After an anti-climactic visit without being able to view the remains of the ruler I headed for the other side of town to check out an restaurant that offered cooking courses.
To try and expedite the process I thought I would catch a cycle rickshaw. Not thinking, I walked up to the oldest rickshaw driver in sight and proceeded to discuss a fare. On our way I then realized that the old man could hardly turn the peddles much less get me to my destination faster than by food. With a sigh I leaned back and decided it best to just enjoy the ride. The restaurant turned out to be very lovely although a bit too expensive for what we were looking for. Then it was off to an open air market to gawk at the marivilous colors and smells present at every market. The markets in SE Asia present themselves diferently than those we experienced in India. The range and abundance of fresh produce is wonderful. The shapes and colors of the fruits and vegetables could keep me entertained for weeks and the variety of greens that are offered boggle the mind. Feeling a bit peckish (a term that I have picked up from the brits I am traveling with) I sampled some grilled pork, hhhmmmm, it was fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. 1) I totally want to shop at the "red lantern market" in the first photo.
    2) I think you should do a color themed entry from one of your market visits.

    ReplyDelete