Thursday, March 26, 2009

Day Sixty Two and Sixty Three: Myanmar for the afternoon


After reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I decided to label my photo and its basic inherent parts for fear of forgetting.

The story goes that a virus swept over a village. Those infected by the virus would slowly begin to loose their memories until they would wander the earth aimlessly. To solve this problem one man came up with the solution to label everything in sight so that they would not forget or at least learn how to live each day by reading the memories.
Myanmar.

Day Sixty Two and Sixty Three March 25th and 26th
Ranong and Myanmar

In order for me to stay longer than two weeks in the country I either had to pay a good deal of money to extend my visa or simply leave the country and return for another two weeks free to roam the country. I chose the cross the border option and it just so happened that Myanmar, that oh so friendly military dictatorship, was the nearest country for me to visit. After a 30 minute boat ride in a boat that I swear was made of Popsicle sticks I arrived at the port of a city called Ko Song. Foreigners are permitted to stop at this city for a total of three days however they are forbidden from traveling past the city limits. That make the stay in Ko Song oh so rewarding (sarcasm.) I even had flashbacks of India when I stepped off the boat. A crowd (four kids) greeting me with talk of tours, cheap cigs, cheap Viagra and cheap whiskey. I had them show me to a crisp, cold bottle of water after baking in the Popsicle boat for a half hour. I walked around town, being harassed by all that saw me, just like in India. I decided that it was best that the government wouldn't let me past the city limits and met back up with my boat driver and headed back to Thailand.

No comments:

Post a Comment