Hanoi
Again on the last day in Hanoi I spent my time wandering the narrow alley ways, dodging speeding motorbikes and trying (though failing) to overcome the sensory overload. We visited the "Hanoi Hilton," a notorious prison that held American pilots captured during the Vietnam War. Only part of the original site has been saved, the rest is now an office building in what is now a very busy and commercial part of Hanoi. One highlight of the museum is the air suit that Ex-presidential candidate John McCain was wearing when he was shot down and captured by the Vietnamese.

Later in the day we went to a famed water puppet show, I was a bit skeptical that it would be worth the time but for just over $2 for front row seats I decided to give it a shot. We were all blow away. It had everything laughs, tears, romance and excitement. Picture a movie theater, not a modern theater with those tall backed and very comfortable seats, no, an average theater, one that you may try to avoid on a normal basis unless it is the only theater that is showing the movie you wish to see. On the left of the stage are musicians that play along with the show, adding voices and music. The center and right of the stage in a large pool with a large and glittery backdrop. Then, Bam! Ssssfppffzzz! The fireworks are let off and the show starts. Puppets of dragons, fisherman, catfish and children entertain for the next 45 mins. I think that there were even a few tears shed by the audience.
In many of the cities that we have visited, we have found very nice restaurants that work as a charity project to help get street kids working and to help "introduce" them to society. We went to one such restaurant for our last dinner in Hanoi. The service and the food at these restaurants is always great. I ordered an appetizer of mixed pork and shrimp on lemongrass skewers and a very hearty dish composed of mashed potatoes and the local variety of sausage. Add in a couple Beer Hanois and you have a fantastic meal.
I've never heard of a water puppet show before; it sounds great.
ReplyDeleteAlso a little kookie that they have John's old garb on display.