Monday, February 16, 2009

Day Twenty Six: First Class - Hello Thailand

Day Twenty Six February 16th, 2009

I make it to the airport with enough time to comfortably pass through immigration and security. Even at the airport I am greeted with a taste of what is to come in Thailand, many gracious smiles and monks in their blaze orange robes. I am than blessed with miracle after miracle. First, the plane is actually on time. Well, only fifteen minutes late, but still a great accomplishment for India. As they begin to call our flight I see the massive line cluster at the gate. Indians do note queue as I am used to, it is not a neat and proper affair though everyone is always pleasant and in good sprits. Not wishing to stand in any more lines I wait for the rest of the group to move onto the plane. I move over to the gate as they are making a last call. I present my ticket and see the gate agent pouring over the list of passengers with a look of worry on his face. I immediately begin to think that India has done it to me again so I ask with a bit of worry what's going on. His beautiful and simple reply was, "You have been upgraded to first class sir." Amazing! I am already loving anything related to Thailand. With my current budget and past earnings I have never been able to enjoy the benefits of first class. Now, I don't think that I could go any other way. It was heaven! The seat like a lazy boy recliner. The flight attendants offering warm towels, champagne and a menu for lunch with multiple choice. Done with Indian food because of what it had recently done with my digestive tract I opt for the Prawns and curry with some Vanilla Hagen-Daz for desert. I felt like a king on a throne with a dopey smile on my face. At the moment I was thinking to myself that nothing was better than watching a Pinkfloyd concert, sipping on Champagne while reading Obama's most recent book while catching glimpses of the deltas of the Bay of Bengal and then the mountains of Burma en route to Bangkok.

3 comments:

  1. Reading this entry put a huge smile on my face - I'm so glad your greatness was recognized. Happy Thai Travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does blowin up feel different in Indochina?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blowin up in India is so much more fun since the toilets smell from the start, you don't feel bad about making a mess.

    ReplyDelete